About the Northwestern Medicine Comprehensive Transplant Center (CTC)
The Comprehensive Transplant Center (CTC) was established in 2009. As the CTC’s founding director, Dr. Michael M. Abecassis spearheaded the effort to create a unique entity that would centralize the transplantation-related research and training efforts of Northwestern Medicine and the Feinberg School, and would foster an environment of creativity, innovation, and partnership.
Motivated by the challenges and inspired to achieve continued progress, Northwestern’s specialists in organ transplantation consistently explore new frontiers in their field. Founded in 1964, Northwestern’s multi-faceted transplantation program is not only the longest-standing program of its kind in the Chicago area, but also an internationally recognized site for groundbreaking research and contemporary, personalized patient care.
Thriving under the skilled and dedicated direction of Michael Abecassis, MD, MBA, chief of the Division of Organ Transplantation and director of the Kovler Organ Transplantation Center at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, and the J. Roscoe Miller Distinguished Professor of Surgery and Microbiology-Immunology at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern’s organ transplantation program excels in a number of important areas, such as:
- Earning distinction as the largest living donor program and third largest clinical program in North America
- Exceeding national standards for patient and graft survival
- Defining and employing the best clinical practices in the realm of organ transplantation
- Encouraging trans-disciplinary, leading-edge research collaborations
- Providing advanced education and training to surgeons and other members of the medical profession
- Helping to shape public policy regarding a broad range of transplantation-related issues
Today, the CTC continues to nurture its vision and it has clearly defined its mission – to facilitate novel, multidisciplinary research efforts; to encourage meaningful clinical collaborations; and, ultimately, to advance the medical community’s understanding of and approach to organ transplantation. To date, over 4,000 patients have received care from the CTC and have benefited from its innovative research, lifesaving programs, and commitment to superior patient care.
To learn more, please visit the Northwestern Medicine Comprehensive Transplant Center website.